Below you will find MCQ Questions of Chapter 14 Sources of Energy Class 10 Science Free PDF Download that will help you in gaining good marks in the examinations and also cracking competitive exams. These Class 10 MCQ Questions with answers will widen your skills and understand concepts in a better manner.
MCQ Questions for Class 10 Science Chapter 14 Sources of Energy with answers
1. The purpose of the glass cover on top of a box-type solar cooker is to
(a) allow one to see the food being cooked
(b) prevent dust from entering the box
(c) reduce heat loss by radiation
(d) none of the above
► (c) reduce heat loss by radiation
2. The condition for producing biogas is
(a) air but not water
(b) water but not air
(c) air and water
(d) neither air nor water
► (b) water but not air
3. Which part of the solar cooker is responsible for green house effect?
(a) Coating with black colour inside the box
(c) Glass sheet
(d) Outer cover of the solar cooker
► (c) Glass sheet
4. How many number of neutrons are released in a fission of U – 235 ?
► (d) 3.0
5. Geothermal energy is feasible in regions that
(a) are near the sea
(b) have thermal plants
(c) have coal mines
(d) are over hot spots in the crust
► (d) are over hot spots in the crust
6. The power generated in a windmill:
(a) Depends on wind velocity
(b) Depends on the height of the tower
(c) Is more in rainy season since damp air would mean more air mass hitting the blades.
(d) Can be increased by planting tall trees close to the tower
► (a) Depends on wind velocity
7. Which of the following acts as control rods in Nuclear reactor ?
(a) cadmium rod
(b) Both cadmium rod and Boron rod
(c) Boron rod
(d) None of the above
► (b) Both cadmium rod and Boron rod
8. A solar panel is made by combining a large number of
(a) solar cookers
(b) solar cells
(c) solar water heaters
(d) solar concentrators
► (b) solar cells
9. Which of the following energy is not derived from the Sun?
(a) Wind energy
(b) Hydro power
(c) Solar energy
(d) Geothermal energy
► (d) Geothermal energy
10. Which energy is not derived from the sun?
(a) Nuclear energy
(b) Wind energy
(c) Biomass energy
(d) Ocean-wave energy
► (a) Nuclear energy
11. Which of the following factors is responsible for blowing of wind ?
(a) Rotation of the earth
(b) Local conditions
(c) Greater heating of the region the equator compared to the regions near the poles
(d) All of the above
► (d) All of the above
12. In a hydroelectric power plant more electrical power can be generated if water falls from a greater height because:
(a) The electricity content of water increases with height
(b) Larger amount of potential energy is converted into kinetic energy
(c) More water molecules dissociate into ions
(d) Its temperature increases
► (b) Larger amount of potential energy is converted into kinetic energy
13. A typical solar cell can produce about ____ electricity.
(a) 0.5 W
(b) 10 W
(c) 0.7 W
(d) 7 W
► (c) 0.7 W
14. Which of the following is incorrect statement regarding solar cooker?
(a) It does not require solar cells to convert solar energy into electrical energy.
(b) In it, cooking takes comparatively longer time.
(c) It requires neither fuel nor attention while cooking.
(d) It is made from semiconductor material.
► (d) It is made from semiconductor material.
15. Why do we use black surfaces in solar devices ?
(a) because temperature in the water of blackened surface was found to rise slowly and hence cooks food easily.
(b) because the blackened surface gives less warmth than white.
(c) because water in contact with black surface acquires less heat.
(d) because black surfaces absorb more heat than unblackened surface.
► (d) because black surfaces absorb more heat than unblackened surface.
16. Which of the following is not an example of a bio-mass energy source ?
(c) nuclear energy
► (c) nuclear energy
16. The working fluid in ocean thermal power plant is
(a) Volatile liquid like ammonia
(d) liquified petroleum gas
► (a) Volatile liquid like ammonia
17. Geothermal energy is
(a) Heat energy in the interior of earth
(b) energy of molten mars exists in the farm of magma inside the earth
(c) molten lava on the surface of earth
(d) energy obtained from solar thermal electric plants
► (c) molten lava on the surface of earth
18. To convert an AC generator into DC generator
(a) split-ring type commutator must be used
(b) slip rings and brushes must be used
(c) a stronger magnetic field has to be used
(d) a rectangular wire loop has to be used
► (a) split-ring type commutator must be used
19. Power plant that uses kinetic and potential energy of water to generate electricity is called
(a) Nuclear Power Plant
(b) Hydro electric Power plant
(c) Thermal Power Plant
(d) Biogas Power Plant
► (b) Hydro electric Power plant
20. The use of charcoal is discouraged even though it is a better fuel than coal, because:
(a) Coal burns comparatively smokeless
(b) Coal has a higher heat generation efficiency
(c) Charcoal burns with flames
(d) Charcoal is prepared from destructive distillation of wood
► (d) Charcoal is prepared from destructive distillation of wood
21. What should be the core of an electromagnet?
(a) soft iron
(b) hard iron
(c) rusted iron
(d) none of above
► (a) soft iron
22. The main constituent of biogas is:
(b) Carbon dioxide
(d) Hydrogen sulphide
► (a) Methane
23. Tidal energy is a farm of energy obtained from the
(a) motion of surface water in ponds
(b) ocean in the form of tidal waves
(c) tides occurs in the river water
(d) motion of the wave in sea
► (b) ocean in the form of tidal waves
24. In a hydropower plant
(a) potential energy possessed by stored water is converted into electricity
(b) electricity is extracted from water
(c) kinetic energy possessed by stored water is converted into potential energy
(d) water is converted into steam in order to produce electricity
► (a) potential energy possessed by stored water is converted into electricity
25. Which radiations of sunlight are used in heating a solar cooker ?
(a) ultra violet radiation
(b) infra red radiation
(c) visible light
(d) all of the above
► (b) infra red radiation
26. The power generated in a windmill
(a) depends on wind velocity
(b) depends on the height of the tower
(c) is more in rainy season since damp air would mean more air mass hitting the blades
(d) can be increased by planting tall trees close to the tower
► (a) depends on wind velocity
27. In hydroelectricity power:
(a) Kinetic energy is transferred to potential
(b) Potential energy is transferred to kinetic
(c) Solar energy is transferred to wind energy
(d) Wind energy is transferred to solar energy
► (b) Potential energy is transferred to kinetic
28. Thermal power plant uses energy from
(a) Coal, petroleum
(b) Solar energy, water
(c) Biogas, LPG
(d) All of the above
► (a) Coal, petroleum
Hope the given MCQ Questions will help you in cracking exams with good marks. These Sources of Energy MCQ Questions will help you in practising more and more questions in less time.